Thursday, January 4, 2018

Recollections of Cerutty, Pt.1

Percy Wells Cerutty, as I'm sure most of you who have read anything about him realize, was a complex character. As I have written before, he could be rude,crude and insulting. Add to that,  occasionally shameless, attention seeking and totally self-centered. Graham Sims' bio on Percy provides insight into what contributed to these less that favorable traits. An early life of deprivation(physical and emotional), neglect and serious illnesses were all contributing factors to these  behaviors.However, I choose to go with what his number one student and Olympic champion Herb Elliott had to say about him: "In spite of his rough, brusque manner,he's a kind warm-hearted soul."
Also, we must not forget that Cerutty dedicated his entire adult life to helping others reach their potential mentally and physically using techniques he developed himself.
I would be remiss not to add that Cerutty first rebuilt and reclaimed his own life.
According to Gary Walton in his book Beyond Winning:The Timeless Wisdom of Great Philosopher Coaches, Percy coached over 20 record holders and champions in a variety of sports.
On the coast of Australia he created at his Camp Portsea the ideal environment to train athletes.
What follows are some stories,insights and quotes that I'm sure you will find to be helpful in your quest for excellence.

The first is an account by Peter Masters head of PMA books in Brisbane, Australia. Peter was the man who had Percy's books republished. I can't say how glad I am that this gentleman made Percy's books available again. I'll add this, about 25 years ago I knew someone who was going to Australia and asked him to pick up a couple of books by Cerutty. I just assumed that they would be available in any bookstore. Well, as they say, don't assume anything because he came back empty handed, said he even went to more than one bookstore. Frankly, I was shocked. How could this be?

Back to Peter and his experience with Cerutty. In the Publisher's Foreword of the republished Athletics: How To Become A Champion, he writes how as a 16 year he trained for two weeks at Portsea in Victoria, Australia. In his words:

"What do I remember about Portsea and about Percy?
First Impressions: a madman!
Well not really but I never met anyone like him before.
He was scary to a 16 year old, but compelling. He had a larger than life persona.
I remember it was hot at Portsea which made training even more arduous.
I remember training up the sandhills.
One day, a boy blacked out in front of me and tumbled down the sandhill and when I went to his aid, Percy yelled out words to the effect that 'he's not dead so don't stop'.
The boy recovered of course but the incident illustrated Percy's determination."

The take away for me from this account is two-fold: one, I think it is essential to create or place yourself in the ideal training environment to achieve maximum results. I've known athletes who recognize the value of the trails and hills yet won't take the time to travel to get to them. They'd just as soon go out their front door and 'get it in' (their workout).
Secondly, a determination that is focused and unwavering is needed. Again, we go back to what I have written previously, do you truly believe in the worthiness of your physical aspirations? If not, your determination will eventually wane.For those who say a devotion to athletic endeavors is inappropriate I side with Cerutty who wrote: "Athleticism, in my view, is not a sport: not a cult: it is a way of life." Or try this one when people tell you, you should concentrate on your career: "What profits a man if he makes a million and ends up a hypochondriac, or is dead at fifty!"
I say that when properly incorporated in your life, athletics makes you a better and more complete person.

I close with Part 1 of this series with a quote by Cerutty that says it all:
"The mastery of the true self, and the refusal to permit others to dominate us is the ultimate in living,and self-expression in athletics."
See, the true Stotan recognizes that it is more than just about medals, trophies,etc.,but, you have to be open and receptive to the truth Cerutty taught. Reading his books, and of course my blogs,  (shameless self-promotion there), are a good place to start, not to mention practicing what he taught.



No comments:

Post a Comment