Sunday, January 7, 2018

Racing and Keeping Things in Perspective

Those of us who live for the run and train to race well can relate to the following by Dr. George Sheehan. Actually, it is applicable to all who compete, irregardless of the sport.


 "The race should be the ultimate test of my running ability, the stopwatch, the final judge, but I never really believe it. I always feel I could do better, that I have not exhausted the limits of my talent and training. Most of all, I fear I have not given a full one hundred percent."


I have felt the way Dr. Sheehan describes countless times. In some ways, it is a good way to feel, in other ways it can be destructive. You want to do better but hardly ever being satisfied with a performance can turn what was once doing something you loved into a "job" and drudgery.
I believe it is a given that serious runners always want to improve. It is an ongoing quest for us.


I say this: we will run countless races. Each race, good and bad, provides an opportunity to learn more about ourselves mentally and physically. Recognize that, appreciate that.
Lastly, and don't ever forget this, even though it is human nature to do so, be thankful that you are alive and have the physical well being to do something you love.


I guess that's my "sermon" for this Sunday. Now go out and go long. If you haven't done so already.


No comments:

Post a Comment