Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Rambling Thoughts--The Necessity of Just Doing It.

Got to thinking of this post the other day after seeing another hooded sweatshirt with "Just Do It" on the front. We all know that was coined by Nike and is probably the most popular phrase ever. At least when applied to athletics.
Oh yes, before I get to my point, I was buying running shoes the other day and the salesman told me that Nike would soon be selling running shoes only through Amazon, Footlocker and Nordstrom's. He then added that in his opinion, their Pegasus and one other running shoe whose name I forgot, were the only good ones, the rest were "fashion" shoes. The news took me by surprise as I thought back to the history of Nike and running.
Now, considering the phrase "Just Do It"--what I once dismissed as yet another of dozens of similar phrases pertaining to athletics and life I have read on apparel-- this time when I saw it, it led me to really think about what it meant.
We live in a world filled with advice on how to this, how to that, do this to become that, what you need to do to succeed, etc., etc.(For more on this subject check out my old article--Information Overload).
The Web, books, TV, all supply us with more info than we can ever use or need.
I have a friend who is always touting the latest "in" thing for getting in "the best shape of your life". He will try one plan for awhile and then move on, never reaching his goals. I've noticed others who do the same on nutrition and diet, and eating.
Here is my thought for today--if you are guilty of doing this--Stop!
The time is now to stop searching for THE way and Just Do It! Stop wasting time chasing after the next big thing.
In athletics, there are the fundamentals of training--easier work precedes harder more stressful work, all culminating in peak condition and/or a competitive season.
Let's stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
Forget my crudity here, I say: "sh*t or get off the pot." Just Do It!






No comments:

Post a Comment