Saturday, December 30, 2017

A Distance Runner

This is a poem I wrote years ago and is dedicated to all who 'live for the run.'
I believe many of you can relate to the following.


"Team sports were never for me,
I can't see depending on others to play.
Gyms, courts and fields are too confining, I crave the freedom of the roads and trails.
My first thought in the morning is where my next run will be.
Some say I'm foolish but I know better,
See I'm a distance runner, that's all I want to be."


There is a point when you realize that running is more than just an activity you do in your free time.
It has become part of your being, who you are as a person. It is as vital to your existence as eating and sleeping.
Those who don't run or share your passion may view your zeal for running as misguided or extreme.
In response to that I quote Percy Wells Cerutty: "those who don't do, can never know."





























No comments:

Post a Comment