Sunday, September 1, 2019

Words From Warriors

The following is from Japanese samurais and Chinese sages.Athletes can gain much from what they have to say. These are people who "walk the talk." Personally,they help me to focus and be totally committed to the task at hand. Consider the following,after each quote I give a comment
"One should not torture himself over a single mistake.What is essential is one's presence of mind hereafter. When one makes a mistake,he should not be hesitant to correct it. Making a mistake and not correcting it,this is the real mistake."
Evaluate and re-evaluate,be introspective.I see the same athletes repeatedly getting injured while others can't understand why they are not seeing improvement in their performances.
"Do all things with patience."
The impatient athlete tends to be a self-defeating one.
"Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind."
For most of us that takes awareness of how we are and the desire to acquire mastery over ourselves.Again, being introspective is the key.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations.We fall to the level of our training."
Great quote here,positive thinking and Jerry Lynch affirmations are only as good as the training you've done.
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price."
How true,but for those of us who live for the run,it is a labor of love.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good. I have had to take a break from my endurance based pursuits to bring my strength levels up, per cerutty and his book Athletics. I could see myself becoming injury prone, and despite good endurance and mobility, I could see that there was a lack of strength that was limiting me. I have shifted gears to get stronger for some weeks, then return to my training fresh, stronger, and more injury proof. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes--one of the things Cerutty recognized well before others became aware of it--was the necessity of weight training to not only strengthen but to help prevent injury. Cerutty lays out exactly the 7 or so weight exercises we need. I only differ with him on the weight we are to lift, I find his recommendation of half our bodyweight to be too much.

    ReplyDelete