Thursday, October 31, 2019

Ageless Running

As I was running a long loop through the trails last weekend, I felt much the same as I did running the Finger Lakes Trails 25 years ago. To me,nothing has changed mentally or physically.
I thought back to what Jack Foster once said regarding his running and getting older, I paraphrase: " I feel  I'm running as fast as ever but my watch says something different." In case you didn't know, in 1974 Jack set a master's world record in the marathon at age 41 with a time of 2:11:10
The following quote by Dr.George Sheehan(author of the classic book Running and Being) puts into words what I was thinking as I ran:
 "My fight is not with age. Running has won the battle for me. Running is my fountain of youth,my elixir of life. It will keep me young forever. When I run,I know there is no need to grow old. I know that my running,my play,will conquer time."
So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment